Friday, July 6, 2012

HomeBirth Fundamentalism: Part 2

Hello! It is Friday it is time for another Midwifery, Mothering & Me post.  Enjoy!









May all babies be born into loving hands...

 K. Michelle Doyle, CNM, NYS LM
www.localcaremidwifery.com
www.localcaremidwifery.blogspot.com

HomeBirth Fundamentalism: Part 2


Unassisted birth
Free birth
DIY birth
Unhindered birth
From Wikipedia:
Unassisted childbirth refers to the process of intentionally giving birth without the assistance of a medical or professional birth attendant.It is also known as freebirth, DIY (do-it-yourself) birth, unhindered birth, unassisted home birth, and couples birth.

Several years ago, I was asked to attend a home birth but to promise that I would do nothing no mater what happened. I clarified, "Even if the baby is in trouble and is not breathing?" The answer was "Yes." I said no.
Earlier this week, I was interviewed by someone who was looking for a midwife who would agree to do no prenatal care, order no blood tests or ultrasounds but agree to come to the birth, "just in case". I said no.
While I have an intellectual understanding of why some are drawn to these things, I choose to not participate. As a planned home birth midwife, I choose to participate in prenatal, birth and postpartum care with my clients. Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment