Monday, October 4, 2010

Wonderful book we all should read

Someone Knows My Name, by Lawrence Hill is undoubtedly one of the best books I have ever read. Historical literature is not my usual genre of choice but the book grabbed me at the library (the main character is a midwife after all) and would not let me go. This book is the fictional life story of Aminita Diallo,from her dying days in London in 1802 looking back over her long, stirring and dignified life. From a small village in Africa where she lived as a 'freeborn muslim', learned to read Arabic from her father and learned midwifery from her mother, Aminita is kidnapped and sold into slavery. This is a story that affects us all and does so with honesty, dignity and even moments of humor. It took me weeks to finish (sorry to whomever had it reserved) because I did not want the story to end. However, Mr Hill is an accomplished and kind author; by the end of his novel, I was finally ready to let Aminita Diallo go.


May all babies be born into loving hands... 

K. Michelle Doyle, CNM, NYS LM
www.localcaremidwifery.com
www.localcaremidwifery.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment